Saturday, August 14, 2010

Turkey Creole

My FAVORITE thing to do with leftover Turkey.



1 medium-large onion, thinly sliced
1 green or red pepper, thinly sliced into narrow strips
2-3 stalks celery, thinly sliced (I prefer to mince these to bits in my VitaMix, or a food processor)
~2 T. veg oil, olive oil or butter
 1-2 14.5 oz cans of stewed tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce (can't remember size, but bigger than 8oz)
2-3 t. chili powder
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2- 2 1/2 c. cooked turkey, chopped
Hot cooked rice or spaghetti  (I prefer rice)

In a large skillet, cook and stir onion, pepper and celery in oil until veggies are tender, about 5 mins.  Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder and salt: simmer uncovered about 10 mins.  Stir in turkey.  Cover and simmer until turkey is hot, about 5 mins.  Serve over rice or spaghetti.

(I vary the recipe according to how many people I'm serving... serves anywhere between 4-8 depending)

No comments:

Post a Comment